[Haskell-cafe] GADTs and Scrap your Boilerplate

José Pedro Magalhães jpm at cs.uu.nl
Sun May 16 05:03:37 EDT 2010

Hi Oscar,

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 22:19, Oscar Finnsson <oscar.finnsson at gmail.com>wrote:

> (...)
>
> I guess my questions are:
>
> 1. Is it possible to combine GADTs with Scrap your Boilerplate?

Your GADT encodes an existential datatype. The closest attempt to encode
existential types in (something like) SYB that I know of is in Section 5.3
of Alexey's PhD thesis [1]. Having said that, he uses the spine view, which
makes the generic view in SYB explicit, but this has never been packaged as
a library. So I'm afraid the answer is "no". The link above might still be
useful for your understanding of why this is a complex problem, though.

Cheers,
Pedro

[1]
http://igitur-archive.library.uu.nl/dissertations/2009-0518-200422/UUindex.html