[Haskell-cafe] What makes Haskell difficult as .NET?

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Fri May 14 13:43:38 EDT 2010

dmehrtash:
> In this presentation
>
> http://norfolk.cs.washington.edu/htbin-post/unrestricted/colloq/details.cgi?id=
> 907
>
> the speaker talks about F# on .Net platform.   Early on in the talk he says
> that they did F# because haskell would be "hard to make as a .Net language".
> Does anyone know what features of Haskell make it difficult as .Net language?

The issue here I believe is primarily the desire to interoperate with
any .NET library, with zero effort by the developer.

Most .NET libraries are imperative, use mutable state -- so binding to
those is less fun, and a bit more labor intensive, in Haskell -- though
the FFI can certainly do it pretty easily.

It also moves most of the .NET libraries into the IO monad, making them
less useful.

-- Don