[Haskell-cafe] ANN: precis-0.3.1 - Cabal package diff tool

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Thu May 13 08:25:14 EDT 2010

On 5 May 2010 12:14, Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 May 2010, Stephen Tetley wrote:
>
>> I'm open to suggests for prettifying the output, or adding further
>> comparisons. While coding precis, I decided that trying to police
>> version numbers would be impractical so I decided to focus on
>> changes/diffs instead.
>
> Sure, but it helps to get an approximation of the necessary version bumps,
> right?

Hi Henning

I've uploaded a new release to Hackage.

The new version will generate a HTML report when supplied with an
--out= command line flag and print a manageable summary to the
console. Here's the console summary between 0.3.1 and 0.4.0
(unfortunately I can't host the HTML output publicly).

$ precis --out=precis.html precis-0.4.0/precis.cabal precis-0.3.1/precis.cabal
Comparing precis 0.4.0 to precis 0.3.1...
2 exposed modules removed
21 export list items removed
1 datatype removed
13 type signatures removed

Generating a HTML report seems obvious in retrospect, as the previous
version was producing far too much information to be useful. The
reporting in this version could do with some more work improve its
clarity, but I hope 0.4.0 is now a useful tool, rather than a curio
(which 0.3.1 was).

Best wishes

Stephen