[Haskell-cafe] debugging a hanging program: where to start?

Aran Donohue aran.donohue at gmail.com
Wed May 12 23:15:22 EDT 2010

Hi Cafe,

I have a program that I can reliably cause to hang. It's concurrent using
STM, so I think it could be a deadlock or related issue. I also do some IO,
so I think it could be blocking in a system call. It only hangs when
compiled with -threaded. I tried building with -prof, and running with -hc
-xt to get a clue where in which function it is stopping, but the resulting
profile didn't help much.

I've started sprinkling print statements, but I thought I'd trawl for better
tips and techniques. Any suggestions on approaches?

Thanks,
Aran