[Haskell-cafe] ghc api renamed source

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Wed May 12 12:16:28 EDT 2010

The difficulty is that renamer and type-checker are mutually recursive
because of Template Haskell.  I've been looking into this a while ago
and I have a basic idea how a better API could look like, but I
haven't sorted out the details.

One very hacky workaround -- and I'm not sure whether it can actually
work -- is to copy the file TcRnDriver from the GHC sources and modify
it to do what you need.  It wouldn't be an easy task, though.

On 12 May 2010 14:35, Phyx <lonetiger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I was wondering if it’s possible to get to the renamed source before
> actually typechecking,
>

> I currently have
>

>     parsed  <- parse modName
>
>     checked <- typecheckModule parsed
>
>     let renamed = tm_renamed_source     checked
>
>         value   = tm_typechecked_source checked
>

> but if typechecking failes, I get no information at all (an error), while I
> should be able to still get the renamed source.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Phyx

Push the envelope.  Watch it bend.