[Haskell-cafe] What do _you_ want to see in FGL?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon May 10 08:01:47 EDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Ivan Miljenovic wrote:

> So you don't want the labels to be part of the actual datatype?  And
> for users to then have to deal with any labels they want themselves?

Recently I wrote cabal-sort using FGL
   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal-sort

It sorts cabal packages topologically according to their dependencies.
However, I was neither happy with the way FGL currently works, nor with
the way I proposed recently (splitting into unlabelled and labelled
graphs). I like to use the package name as node identifier. I do not need
any label, but I need a node type different from Int. With current FGL I
need to maintain a Map PkgName Int. Would it be sensible to generalize the
Node type to any Ord type or does FGL use optimizations specific to Int?
In another example I used FGL for finding all topological orderings of a
set of database transactions. In this case I used an enumeration type as
node type. Are there other applications for alternative Node types?