[Haskell-cafe] FRP demos and tutorials page

Tom Poliquin poliquin at softcomp.com
Sun May 9 22:43:09 EDT 2010

Haskell Cafe'rs,

My student and I (sometimes it's difficult to determine who is who) have
struggled to understand Reactive for several months and thanks to some
initial help from the Reactive list (thanks Paul C) have been able to write
some demos and tutorials.

Apologies for posting this to the Haskell Cafe, instead of the FRP list
but we wanted to make our efforts available to a wider audience, and the
experts there are the choir.

We have created are a set of demos and tutorials for FRP ("Conal reactive").
It consists of four demos: the simple furnace, the human controlled furnace,
the hybrid robot sim, and the FRP robot sim. The furnace demos both consist
of a thermostat like application, in which a furnace heats up and cools down
in attempt maintain a constant temperature. In the simple furnace, the goal
temperature is a fixed constant, while in the human controlled furnace, the
user can control the goal temperature. The robot sim demos both consist of a
3D simulation in which a robot follows the walls of an arena using a simple
control algorithm. The hybrid robot sim consists of two programs, one with
FRP that simulates the robot, and one GLUT program that reads piped date from
the first program to display the 3D view. The FRP robot sim is a single
program that simulates the same robot scenario as the first, but uses
reactive GLUT and FRP to do the whole demo in reactive style.

We attempted to but as much documentation in the programs as possible, as well
as give an overview on the webpage about the functions we used. Please note
that both of us are rather new to Haskell, and so, we may have used poor
programming practices in these tutorials and demos. If you have any
suggestions about them, please feel free to write to us.

Website:
http://www.formicite.com/dopage.php?frp/frp.html

Thanks,
Tom and Tony