[Haskell-cafe] installing haskell platform on 64-bit ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid)

Andy Lee thelees.andy at gmail.com
Sat May 8 23:07:35 EDT 2010

On 05/08/2010 08:27 PM, Andy Lee wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 03:38 AM, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> On 08/05/10 04:20, Andy Lee wrote:
>>> Has anyone had problems getting Haskell Platform installed on Ubuntu
>>> 10.04?
>>>
>>> I've got GHC 6.12.1 installed via apt-get, and I've downloaded/untarred
>>> haskell-platform-2010.1.0.0.tar.gz. But when I run ./configure, it
>>> fails fairly quickly, with an error 'cause it can't build the "hello
>>> world" test program, complaining:
>>>
>>> <command line>: unknown package: haskell98
>>>

>>> Anyone else seen this? Am I missing something obvious?
>>
>> What does 'ghc-pkg list|grep haskell' show?
>>
>> /M
>>
> $ ghc-pkg list|grep haskell
> haskell98-1.0.1.1
> template-haskell-2.4.0.0
> haskell-src-1.0.1.3
> haskell98-1.0.1.1
> template-haskell-2.4.0.1

So, after seeing the above, I figured out that I had a ~/.ghc
directory, apparently left from a previous attempt at installing
haskell-platform.  After deleting it, I was able to get past the
./configure step.  I then just had to figure out I needed to install
libghc6-monadcatchio-mtl-{dev,prof} and everything went swimmingly.

Thanks for the clue!

--Andy