[Haskell-cafe] Would it be evil to add "deriving Typeable" to newtype Q?

Mike Dillon mike at embody.org
Fri May 7 19:19:30 EDT 2010

begin Ivan Lazar Miljenovic quotation:
> Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> writes:
> > You might want to try Derive
> > (http://community.haskell.org/~ndm/derive) if DrIFT doesn't work for
> > you. They do roughly the same jobs, but Derive has more output formats
> > (it can be spliced in as Template Haskell, generate #include files,
> > output text etc) more derivations (but not quite overlapping -
> > although both have Typeable), and is fully cabal-friendly on all
> > platforms.
>
> I take it you haven't had the legal problems that DrIFT had when it used
> to be called Derive?  http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~nww/Derive/History.html

Looks like derive.com is redirecting to a Texas Instruments site under
ti.com, so they likely don't care about this particular trademark
anymore since it is no longer maintained as an independent brand. Looks
like they stopped selling it in June 2007, at least in the UK:

    http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/UK/productDetail/uk_derive6.html

The other link I found redirected to a page that didn't mention Derive™
at all.

-md