[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: gt-tools-0.1.4

Sergei Trofimovich slyich at gmail.com
Thu May 6 14:30:50 EDT 2010

Hey, -cafe!

I'm glad to announce release of Google Translate Service[1] Tools[2].
Currently it's a command line tool 'gtc' (queen of this post) and 'gtg' (more
a hello-world type gtk2hs user).

So let's play with that beast a little!

PREREQUISITES
* ghs-6.12+ - gt-tools relies on proper locale detection for passed command
line arguments

INSTALLATION

$ cabal update
Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org

$ cabal install gt-tools -f-gui # avoid 'gtg' for now
Done! It was simple.

USE
$ gtc # sniff the beast
    Usage:
         Standart mode: gtc 'fromLang' 'toLang' 'text'
         Interactive mode: gtc -i 'fromLang' 'toLang'
             Where 'Lang' is 2 sumbols code, i.e. be, en, ru.

    Commandline keys:
        --interactive or -i - interactive mode.
        --help        or -h - to see this help.
        --list        or -l - list of available languages.
$ gtc -l # language list
# a lot

$ gtc en no "good evening"
    Source language: en

    Translation: god kveld
    Original text: good evening
    Translit:

Whoa!

$ gtc -i en fi # interactive mode!
> # waits for prompt!
> who are you?
    Source language: en

    Translation: kuka sinä olet?
    Original text: who are you?
    Translit:
# leading exclamation'!' mark allows you to invert source and destination language
> !päivää
    Source language: fi

    Translation: days
    Original text: päivää
    Translit:

    interjection:
        good afternoon

Integration with other translating services is considered by
author as well as user interface should be polished a little more too.
Any feedback is appreciated!

/me wonders if Miss lambdabot might like to have such functionality.
What do you think?

Have fun!

[1] It's a simple translation service: http://translate.google.com/
[2] "home page" for gt-tools: http://github.com/styx/gtc