[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell and scripting

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed May 5 17:38:34 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Limestraël <limestrael at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, the xmonad approach is very neat, but I see 2 major (IMO) drawbacks to
> it:
> 1) The end-user has to have GHC, and all the necessary libraries to compile
> the configuration
> 2) A scripting language should be simple and QUICK to learn : Haskell is
> clean, powerful but its learning takes time

For basic customization, many XMonad users (judging by questions on
#xmonad) have little to no Haskell experience and get by. Further,
it's easier to step down the power than to increase it; because we use
Haskell, it's possible to have simpler configuration options like
xmonad-light*

* http://braincrater.wordpress.com/2008/08/28/announcing-xmonad-light/
isn't a very good explanation of xmonad-light, but I don't know of any
others

--
gwern