[Haskell-cafe] Happy: PATH issue

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Sun May 2 18:49:33 EDT 2010

Am Montag 03 Mai 2010 00:28:31 schrieb Ivan Lazar Miljenovic:
> Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> writes:
> >
> > If the default shell is bash and the PATH is set and exported in
> > ~/.bashrc, it should work with '~' unless the string is quoted,
> > shouldn't it? bash expands the tildes when the value is assigned to
> > PATH, I think. That would explain why it's a relatively rare breakage.
>
> bash expands it when you use it within bash, but when it's used within
> another program this might not be the case (since the PATH is just a
> String after all).

But does that string contain any '~'s?
I think not (unless quoted).
I believe the string that is assigned to PATH is already expanded (if you
have

export PATH=~/.cabal/bin:$PATH

in your .bashrc and the right hand side weren't expanded, you'd be in
serious difficulties - it is not unthinkable that $PATH is expanded, but
not the tilde, but that would be pretty odd).