[Haskell-cafe] Build problems (hsp, trhsx, ultimately Happstack)

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Sat May 1 13:48:56 EDT 2010

Am Samstag 01 Mai 2010 19:06:33 schrieb Warren Harris:
> On May 1, 2010, at 3:39 AM, Daniel Fischer wrote:
> > Try
> >
> > $ cabal install  --constraint="Crypto<4.2.1" --
> > constraint="HJScript<0.5"
> > happs-tutorial
>
> This had the same problem building containers:
>
> Building containers-0.2.0.1...
>
> Data/IntMap.hs:182:7:
>      Could not find module `Data.Data':
>        It is a member of the hidden package `base'.
>        Perhaps you need to add `base' to the build-depends in
> your .cabal file.
>        Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

That's a slightly misleading error message.
containers-0.2.0.1 lists base as one of its build-dependencies, but without
version constraints. So cabal-install chooses base-3.* as the version for
base, which doesn't have Data.Data. Data.Data first appears in
base-4.0.0.0, so Data.Data is a member of the hidden package base-4.*.

Add a --constraint="base>=4"

That should fix containers-0.2.0.1, but it might break something else.
Or try again with the darcs version.

> On May 1, 2010, at 6:24 AM, Jeremy Shaw wrote:
> > I would recommend:
> >
> > darcs get --lazy http://patch-tag.com/r/mae/happstack
> > cd happstack
> > chmod +x bin/build-install-all.sh
> > ./bin/build-install-all.sh
> >
> > This should install the latest version of happstack from darcs which
> > resolves most install problems. I intend to release it any minute
> > now, but I am waiting for a patch to hsp.cabal to be applied.
>
> This had a different problem building happstack itself:
>
> Building happstack-0.4.3...
> trhsx: Error at SrcLoc {srcFilename = "src/HSP/IdentityT.hs", srcLine
> = 73, srcColumn = 1}:
> Illegal instance declaration
> happstack-0.4.3 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
> ExitFailure 1
>

> I can't see anything that looks obviously wrong with line 73 of that
> file, but haven't studied it in detail.

Maybe a missing {-# LANGUAGE FlexibleInstances #-} (or
TypeSynonymInstances)?