[Haskell-cafe] Numeric.LinearProgramming - confusion in constructors for bounds

Ozgur Akgun ozgurakgun at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 05:37:56 EDT 2010

Hi everyone and Alberto,

Numeric.LinearProgramming[1] provides a very nice interface for solving LP
optimisation problems, and the well-known simplex algorithm itself. I must
say I quite liked the interface it provides, simple yet sufficient.

But, to my understanding, there is a confusion in the constructor name
(symbols actually) for constraints. In LP, one needs to write constraints in
the form of ==, <=, or >= only. You *cannot *write a constraint using strict
inequalities. The algorithm has nothing wrong, but I guess it would be
better to have constructor symbols right. See [2]

If this is a design choice, I think it should explicitly be stated.

Regards,

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hmatrix-glpk
[2]
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/hmatrix-glpk/0.1.0/doc/html/Numeric-LinearProgramming.html#t%3ABound