Fwd: [Haskell-cafe] Are there any female Haskellers?

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 07:13:18 EDT 2010

.

2010/3/29 Jason Dusek <jason.dusek at gmail.com>

2010/03/29 Alberto G. Corona <agocorona at gmail.com>:
> > [...] What we evolved with is a general hability: to play with
> > things to achieve what we need from them, (besides other
> > abilities). The pleasure to acheve ends by using available
> > means. [...]  A tool is someting used to solve a class of
> > problems. It does not matter if it is something phisical or
> > conceptual. [...] The more general is a tool, the more we feel
> > pleasure playing with it
>
>  So the adaptation you are saying men have in greater degree
>  than women is pleasure in "tool using", broadly defined to
>  include taming animals, debate, programming, sword play,
>  carpentry and more? What are you attributing to men is not
>  so much superiority of ability but greater motivation?
>
> --
> Jason Dusek

n terms of natural selection, greater motivation for and greater innate
hability are both positiverly correlated in response to an evolutionary
pressure (in beings that have learning capabilities). for example, cats are
better at catching mouse, and they enjoy to play catching them. A live being
end up developping better innate habilities (and is more motivation)  for
whatever practises more. This is called baldwin effect (some common general
learning for the task end up fixed innately). Motivation match ability and
viceversa.  This is evolutionarily stable.

 It makes no evolutionary sense that woman and men have the same abilities
and tendencias because they had different activities since before they were
even humans. The brain has limited computation resources. The optimal
behaviours and strategies are in many cases different for each sex. This
happen for almost all the animal kingdom. Why humans would be different?.
 No matter they are very similar in some aspects, they are different and
very different in others (fortunatelly). Nothing that your grandparent
didn´t know.