[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-friendly Linux Distribution

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Mon Mar 29 23:57:00 EDT 2010

Ivan Miljenovic wrote:

> On 30 March 2010 14:33, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > The haskell packages for Debian (I am one)
>
> You are a Haskell _package_? :p

s/packages/packagers/

Although I speak for me, not the group.

> >  - The source code package will be called haskell-foo.
>
> Is this an actual installable package (so you're installing the actual
> source code?) ?

The command:

   apt-get source haskell-foo

will grab the haskell-foo source package bundle which includes the
original source tarball, a diff.gz that gets applied to that tarball
to make it into a debian package and a crypto signed file with md5
and sha1 signatures of the previous two files. It will then check the
signatures and if they are ok, extract the original tarball and apply
the diff.

> > Debian does not strictly follow the Haskell Platform, mainly because
> > some libraries in Debian were already at a later version when the first
> > platform was released.
>
> Hence the "almost complete": you can't say to have Platform support
> unless you have all of those exact packages.

Debian doesn't have 'The Haskell Platform', it has a package named
haskell-platform which conforms as closely as is reasonably possible
to the former. For instance, if the Platform specifies Foo-1.0 and
that has a security vulnerability but Foo-1.1 doesn't, then Debian
is highly likely to ship Foo-1.1 instead.

Erik