[Haskell-cafe] my gsoc project topic

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 09:43:14 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Csaba Hruska <csaba.hruska at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm wondering about the topic of my gsoc project. [..]

 I'm interested in these areas:
> - improving cabal (more sophisticated dependency, multi version, compiler
> support, etc) [..]

I like the idea of improving cabal, and one can definitely see the community
benefit of work on such a pervasively used tool.

> - Another idea is to improve GHC's new LLVM backend. [..]

I like this idea, but like you said, a number of people seem to be
interested in working on the LLVM backend this summer, so it may be a
crowded space and hard to coordinate. But anything that could expose more
information about the shape of thunks and slot usage to LLVM could help a
great deal with alias analysis, which is usually in LLVM the biggest barrier
to reordering and rewriting.

> - Another LLVM related idea is to create a framework to support writing
> llvm passes in haskell, this should be based on existing llvm haskell
> binding. [..]

I think this would be an amazing value-add for the LLVM backend, and might
open the door to a whole new class of Haskell optimizations.

> - I'm also interested in computer graphics. While this kind of project
> could look really good, the community could not benefit from it. [..]

While I personally enjoy working on 3d graphics in general, it is hard to
sell the community benefit.

 -Edward Kmett