[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell.org re-design

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 29 08:20:52 EDT 2010

On 29 March 2010 11:19, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the footer necessary?  I dislike sites that have too many ways to
> navigate, and the footer looks superfluous.  The footer will probably be off
> the bottom of the window in any case, which reduces its usefulness as a
> navigation tool.

Footer navigations are a way to provide a bit of a sitemap without
cluttering the top nav, good for SEO, and to provide the user with an
overview of the hierarchical structure of the site on every page.
According to the W3C, headings are easily navigable with a
screenreader; as someone using assistive technologies I'd get
something like:

Welcome to Haskell.org
Events
Learning
Headlines
Latest Packages
Quick Links
Download
Community
Wiki
Reports

We can get rid of it but I think it's a useful thing.

> If we want a tree of links for navigation, maybe the tabs at the top could
> be drop-down menus, or there could be a menu sidebar.

A side bar on sub pages sounds good.