[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-friendly Linux Distribution

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Mar 28 17:22:49 EDT 2010

On 28/03/10 12:53, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 28.03.2010, 09:04 +0100 schrieb Magnus Therning:
>> I have to say it looks like Debian has gotten their act together
>> somewhat when it comes to Haskel development.  Many of the reasons for
>> my deserting Debian seem have been taken care of.
>
> so, what is missing for you to come back :-)

Well, maybe I should qualify that a bit.  There were a few issues with Haskell
in Debian in the past.  Most noticeably the lack of packages in the standard
repos.  This seems to have been addressed.  The other thing, that bit me at
the time, and witch really pushed me over the edge was the lack of speed in
adopting new upstream versions of ghc and some of the very basic packages.

That Debian has started picking up more packages is noticeable in Hackage.
However, an increase in speed wouldn't really be noticeable to a non-Debian
user.  So you might have improved considerably in that area too... I just
wouldn't know :-)

/M