[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-friendly Linux Distribution

Ertugrul Soeylemez es at ertes.de
Sun Mar 28 14:51:14 EDT 2010

"Chris Dornan" <chris at chrisdornan.com> wrote:

> I am choosing a Linux distribution for a production Haskell project
> and would would normally just go with Debian (pedigree, stability, and
> of course Haskell Platfom included) but CentOS is in the frame.
>
> Are there any particularly strong reasons for preferring or avoiding
> any particular distribution?

I can only speak for Gentoo, not for the others, and as a Haskell
developer I am very happy with it.  It has the Haskell Platform as well
as lots of independent packages in the mainstream repository.  Also it
has a very flexible package management system called Portage.

Using the 'haskell' Portage overlay, you get many non-mainstream Haskell
packages managed within Portage without having to use cabal-install.  In
fact, because of this I haven't even known about cabal-install for a
long time.

However, as always there is a catch.  Gentoo is a source distribution,
which means that you compile the entire system from scratch.  On modern
computers this is quite fast, but sometimes it can hammer on your
patience.  Also it happens that you get compilation errors, in which
case you need to resolve the issue (most are easy to solve though).

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://blog.ertes.de/