[Haskell-cafe] Are there any female Haskellers?

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Sun Mar 28 06:38:43 EDT 2010

Jochem Berndsen <jochem at functor.nl> writes:

> Could you point us to any evidence that supports your assumption that
> there are "sexual differences in mathematical abilities"?

Luce Irigaray?  (Amply butcherd by Sokal and Bricmont, or see
e.g. http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Luce_Irigaray)
This is as dumb as post-modern feminism can get, of course, but there
you are.

One observation I've made is that out of my informatics courses, the one
on universal algebra was the most gender equal.  This corresponds well
to the observation that math has a larger female component than computer
science.  You'd have thought that Haskell, being so mathsy, would appeal
to women, but this list must be one of the most gender *in*equal, I've
no idea why (and I can't say I much care).

-k