[Haskell-cafe] GHC vs GCC

David Menendez dave at zednenem.com
Sat Mar 27 15:23:59 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Tillmann Rendel
<rendel at mathematik.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> Jan-Willem Maessen wrote:
>>
>> It's worth pointing out that there's a bit of bang-pattern mysticism going
>> on in this conversation (which has not been uncommon of late!).  A non-buggy
>> strictness analyzer should expose the strictness of these functions without
>> difficulty.
>
> Could the result of strictness analysis reported in terms of the original
> Haskell program?

That would be nice. Even if you're willing to read core, I'm not aware
that the output of -ddump-stranal is explained anywhere.

Incidentally, the results of -ddump-simpl when running on -O2 say that
GHC has unboxed every argument except the first argument to rangeJ.

--
Dave Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>