[Haskell-cafe] Syntax programming with lexemes rather than trees?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 10:04:00 EDT 2010

Hi Yitzchak

Thanks for the encouragement. Funnily enough its been the working with
'repeat' syntax that has tipped the current revision of my code from
being "workable, somewhat ad-hoc, polish-able later" into "horrible -
too complex, needs a simpler foundation." As for programming to
LilyPond from Haskell, with the latest revision I've managed entirely
with the stmap class I posted above (and its pathological extension to
a 3 parameter functor - trifunctor?). There isn't a monad in sight in
currently.

While the results are disappointing at the moment, the domain has been
fruitful for cultivating some exotic functional codes: families of
unfold functions extending the skipping unfold at the heart of the
stream fusion paper [1]; traversals that separate shape from contents
[2] and more.

Best wishes

Stephen

[1] http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/papers/stream-fusion.pdf