[Haskell-cafe] Re: really difficult for a beginner like me...

saaJamal aliabbas911 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 24 07:07:40 EDT 2010

Ivan Amarquaye <amarquaye.ivan <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> thanks for the tip there....its been four gruesome days and i just don't
seem to make any understanding of how to implement some changes or create some
new functions due to the fact that im so new to Haskell and functional
> For the very first case of allowing hyphenated words to be treated as single
words i manged to successfully do that by adding to the definition of the
splitWords function to also accept characters such as "-" and it worked
perfectly after running it.
> The next case posed a headache for me as i have been on it for 3 days now.
>From my understanding, it means in situations where your writing a  sentence
and you get to the end of the line while writing a word, you decide to put a
hyphen there and continue on the other line. So the case demands that i allow
sentences that end with hyphens and continue on the next line to drop the
hyphen and be a single word on that same line without having to continue on
the next line so this was how i foresee the input it in hugs:
> Input:
> makeIndex "these are the very same stuff they tell each-\nother"
> output:
> should be this: [[1]these],[[1]eachother]. 1 indicates they are on the same
line and the others are left out as the index takes words greater than 4
characters and i have been struggling with this since. i tried on several
counts to include in the splitwords function to dropWhile "-" is found in the
words but it turned out an error.I also tried creating a new function to do
that didnt succeed either  can anybody help me out in this regard.....

U happen to find a way for your problem? I tried a lot for more than a week
now, but cant do it.