[Haskell-cafe] Strange typing?

Ozgur Akgun ozgurakgun at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 11:15:02 EDT 2010

Hi Cafe!

Disclaimer: I know what I'm going to ask is now available as a language
feature normally.
And sorry for the subject of this message, I couldn't compe up with a
good&descriptive subject.

Is there any way to limit a functions type, not by a data type but by a
group of constructors of a data type? If not, what would be the *right*
thing to do to achieve this level of type safety?

data DT1 = X | Y | Z
data DT2 = A | B | C | D

func1 :: DT1 -> DT2 -- instead of this
func1' :: (X|Y) -> (B|C) -- i want sth. like this. (| means or)

Only think I can think of is having the constructors, as seperate data
types, introducing new type classes to group every possible subset of
[X,Y,Z] and [A,B,C,D] and use those type classes when defining the
functions. But as you can imagine, this is not the only place I want to use
this thing, and the code will start to look cryptic if I do so. I must add,
I want to use this *disjunction of constructors* thingy in data type
declerations as well.

A little bit brainstorming maybe?

Thanks in advance,

--