[Haskell-cafe] Re: Parallel Pi

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Thu Mar 18 20:22:58 EDT 2010

Am Freitag 19 März 2010 00:56:15 schrieb Erik de Castro Lopo:
> Daniel Fischer wrote:
> > 3.06GHz Pentium 4, 2 cores.
>
> Do you have more info on that? Try:
>
>      grep 'model name' /proc/cpuinfo

Well,

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 3058.795
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm
constant_tsc pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl tm2 cid cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 6117.59
clflush size    : 64
power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 3058.795
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
apicid          : 1
initial apicid  : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm
constant_tsc pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl tm2 cid cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 6118.20
clflush size    : 64
power management:

Does that mean two CPUs, each with two siblings, or what is the correct
interpretation?

> The original Pentium 4 (eg "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz") had
> hyperthreading which was actually pretty pathetic for parallelism.
>
> The Core 2 Duos (eg "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9600  @ 2.80GHz")
> are far superior.

But probably also far more expensive :)
I bought something cheap and was actually surprised when I discovered that
it seemed to have two Cores/CPUs.