[Haskell-cafe] Re: searching a function by providing examples of input/ouput pairs

Janis Voigtländer jv at informatik.uni-bonn.de
Thu Mar 18 08:49:20 EDT 2010

Paul Brauner schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking at hoogle documentation when I remembered that there is
> some nice, but quite unusable, feature of squeak (smalltalk) which
> allows you to search function in the library by giving a list of pairs
> of inputs/ouputs.
>
> When I'm saying that it is quite unusable, I mean that squeak has to try
> _every_ function, some of which may be very slow to deliver a result, or
> require some side effects.
>
> But, piggibacking such a feature on top of hoogle would surely be more
> efficient:
>
>   1. infer types for arguments and outout
>   2. look for matching functions using google
>   3. test them
>
> Has anyone tried that before? If not I would be glad to.

Sounds like something useful to have.

And you could even have the system use a list of pairs of inputs/outputs
to give you functions that are *not* yet in any library. :-)

http://www.haskell.org/communities/11-2009/html/report.html#sect6.11.1

--
Jun.-Prof. Dr. Janis Voigtländer
http://www.iai.uni-bonn.de/~jv/