[Haskell-cafe] Extending Cabal's Preprocessors for GSoC?

Diego Echeverri diegoeche at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 22:53:39 EDT 2010

Hi guys!

Thomas Schilling suggested me to cross-post this here. Basically
I'm thinking about the possibility of extending Cabal's
Preprocessor mechanism for the GSoC. I've been working to provide
uuagc with a Custom build mechanism for Cabal and in this process
I have stumbled upon some difficulties (Dependency resolution and
configurability).

I believe is possible to extend the current preprocessing
mechanism to provide the following:

* Independence from physical representation (Currently the module
  is assumed to be built from a single file with the same name that
  the module)

* Dependency checks (precompile when one of the files on which it
  depends changed. I had to trick cabal and duplicate
  functionality to do this for uuagc. There should be a better
  way!)

* Composability (Add the ability to chain existing preprocessors)

* Configurabily (Make easier to add configuration sections to the
cabal file. I've been using "x-" sections but I guess is possible
to make it look like the already-supported preprocessors).

Any feedback about this?
Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Diego Echeverri