[Haskell-cafe] Binaries using shared libraries with cabal-install

Mathijs Kwik bluescreen303 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 03:03:52 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm using cabal-install 0.8.0 on ghc 6.12.1 on linux
I switched on shared library support on cabal.

Does this enable -dynamic and -fPIC during compilation and -dynamic
-shared during linking?
Or does it work a little differently?

I noticed everything works for libraries. .so files get created, and
using ldd on them shows they depend on other haskell shared libraries.
But for binaries, it seems it still compiles them with everything included.
ldd'ing them shows no haskell-library dependencies and their size is
quite big as well.

Is it possible to tell cabal-install I want binaries to use shared libs instead?
And is there a way to specify which RTS to link binaries with? (debug,
threaded, normal)
Or a way to defer linking to an RTS so I can do this on execution
using LD_PRELOAD ?

Thanks for any help
Mathijs