[Haskell-cafe] Space leak

Arnoldo Muller arnoldomuller at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 18:58:09 EST 2010

Jason,

I am trying to use haskell in the analysis of bio data. One of the main
reasons I wanted to use haskell is because lazy I/O allows you to see a
large bio-sequence as if it was a string in memory.
In order to achieve the same result in an imperative language I would have
to write lots of error-prone iterators. I saw lazy I/O as a very strong
point in favor of Haskell.

Besides the space leaks that can occur and that are a bit difficult to find
for a newbie like me, are there any other reasons to avoid Lazy I/O?

Arnoldo.