[Haskell-cafe] When is a bug GHC's fault/strange STM behaviour

Michael Lesniak mlesniak at uni-kassel.de
Sat Mar 13 18:21:57 EST 2010

Hello,

> For the attached programme, in the task-getting,
>
>            else if Set.null work
>                    then return Nothing
>                    else retry
>
> doesn't really make sense, when the channel is empty, we could return
> Nothing right away. I suppose, in the real programme, some threads might
> write further tasks to the channel, so while not all threads have finished,
> the channel might not be permanently empty?
Correct. This is a simplified and reduced to the basics example of a
taskpool where threads can write tasks back. Hence, we have to check
that no other threads are working before we return a "we are really
finished"-Nothing message.

> end all threads and prevent hanging. If yes, writing strict values to
> working:
>
> get chan working = do
>    tid <- myThreadId
>
>    -- atomically commit that this thread is not working anymore (since we
>    -- try to get a task we must be quasi-idle!
>    atomically $ do
>        work  <- Set.delete tid `fmap` readTVar working
>        writeTVar working $! work
>
>    -- waits for a new task. if all threads are idle and the pool is empty,
>    -- return.
>    atomically $ do
>        empty <- isEmptyTChan chan
>        work  <- readTVar working
>
>        if (not empty)
>            then do
>                task <- readTChan chan
>                writeTVar working $! (Set.insert tid work)
>                return (Just task)
>            else if Set.null work
>                    then return Nothing
>                    else retry
>

> seems to prevent hanging on my box (running fine with "100 64 1 +RTS -N"
> nearing task 60000, without the strict writes it typically hangs after a
> few dozen or hundred runs).
Nice idea, didn't try the strict write. Even though I have no
explanation why lazy evaluation causes so much trouble...

> I'd ask such things on glasgow-haskell-users, less traffic, it's a GHC-
> specific list, you're more likely that one of the GHC experts notices it
> there and can tell you whether it's a bug, a feature or an error in your
> code.
Good idea, totally forgot it. Will do next time (or, if noone has an
explanation of this behaviour), repost my message there.

But hopefully someone of the GHC experts read this too, so we won't
duplicate knowledge :-)

Cheers,
  Michael