[Haskell-cafe] Re: If wishes were horses... (was: Re: definition of sum)

David Virebayre dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 05:07:24 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Johannes Waldmann
<waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de> wrote:

> Well, meaningful identifier names is nice, but I think
> here we have a case of the code smell "type info embedded in the name".
> Strictness of a function should be expressed in the function's type instead.
> But that seems impossible with Haskell at the moment.
> (At best, we can express strictness of constructors?)
> Hence we have "underspecified" behaviour:
>
> Prelude Data.List> :t foldl'
> foldl' :: (a -> b -> a) -> a -> [b] -> a
>
> Prelude Data.List> :t foldl
> foldl :: (a -> b -> a) -> a -> [b] -> a

Even if we had a syntax to express that the function is strict,
wouldn't we still need two distinct function names for the strict and
lazy case ? In that case, some sort of convention on naming is nice,
because if I want to change a function to its strict version, I know
there's a good chance it's the one that ends with a '

David.