[Haskell-cafe] If wishes were horses... (was: Re: definition of sum)

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Fri Mar 12 00:42:05 EST 2010

David Leimbach wrote:
> Note that foldl' has a ' to indicate that it's not the same as foldl
> exactly.  I would propose that sum' exist as well as sum, and that sum be
> lazy.

I wish Haskell allowed ! to occur (non-initially) in alphanum_'
identifiers as well as in symbolic ones. Then we could be more
consistent about having ! mean strictness like it does with ($!), bang
patterns, strict fields,... (too bad about (!) and (!!)). The prime has
so many other uses, it's a shame it gets used up for strict/lazy
variants, as if there were no other variations.

--
Live well,
~wren