[Haskell-cafe] ANN: uuid-0.1.2

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 23:02:08 EST 2010

2010/1/5 Mark Lentczner <markl at glyphic.com>:
> Antione and I are please to announce the release of uuid-0.1.2.
> - added functions toByteString and fromByteString
> - added 'nil' UUID
> - added unit tests and benchmarks, built when configured -ftest
> - major speed up of to/from functions (as well as in general)
> - added version-3 generation (deterministic based on MD5)
> - major changes to internal representation
>        - now uses four strict Word32 values
>        - internal ByteSource classes for easy construction (see Builder.hs)
> - Storable instance now stores in memory as system libraries in C do:
>    16 bytes derived from the network order of the fields, no matter what
>    the host native endianess is.
> - fixed bugs in V1 time and clock stepping, and V1 generated values
> - builds cleanly under GHC's -Wall
> - added CHANGES file

I'd like to announce a point-release to the UUID library: version 1.2.1

The uuid package includes an implementation of UUID generation via the
current time, machine MAC address, and persistent state kept in the

Previously this state was kept using a top-level IORef, and if you hit
it too quickly with the threaded run-time it would return duplicate

Now the internal state is stored in an MVar. This does have additional
run-time overhead, but such is the price of correctness.

Thanks to Neil Mitchell for the bug report and test-case.