[Haskell-cafe] new syntax highlighting library (lexers wanted!)

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 3 03:51:44 EST 2010

Cafe:

I wanted to let you know about a new syntax highlighting library
I've been working on, called 'illuminate'.  The (BSD3 licensed) code
is on github: http://github.com/jgm/illuminate

illuminate is meant eventually to replace my other highlighting library,
highlighting-kate, which is too big, slow, and memory-hungry.
In my benchmarks, illuminate is around 70X faster than highlighting-kate
and uses half the memory. It can produce output in ANSI, HTML, XHTML,
and LaTeX.  Highlighting styles can be defined independently of any
output format.

So far I've written lexers for haskell, literate haskell, cabal,
alex, c, c++, c#, python, ruby, java, html, rhtml, xml, javascript, css,
tex, and bibtex.  Want to highlight a language not on this list?  Why
not help out by writing a lexer? (Study the lexer for a similar language
to get started; if you aren't familiar with Alex, you may want to look
at the Alex User Guide too. And let me know if you have any questions.)

John