[Haskell-cafe] whine and solution about programmers not respecting documentations

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Tue Jun 29 06:50:34 EDT 2010

Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> writes:

>> An important point of a powerful type system is to model your program so
>> that only sensible code is legal.

> That would be an awesomely powerful type system :)

Heh.  But while we're waiting for it, we can try to use what we got to
eliminate as much non-sensical code as possible.

(Which, btw, I think is an under-sold point: people used to C-style type
systems think that all the type system does is label variables for you,
which dynamic type systems (like our algebraic data types) let you do
the same run-time.  But you get a lot more mileage by careful type
design.)

>> I don't think there would be any doubt what 'deleteBy (<= 5) [1..10]'
>> would do.
>
> Well, if you don't know about filter, you could think it deletes all
> elements satisfying the predicate, but apart from that, it's clear.

I'd probably call it 'filter1', but that's just my personal convention.

>> And I just don't see what the requirement for an equivalence
>> relation buys you.

> For the type deleteBy has, predictability. Currently, you can't know
> whether deleteBy pred x tests pred x y or pred y x without looking at the
> source.

...which is a worry my implementation removed by letting the user decide
through partial application.

> For a symmetric relation, you needn't care.

But the docs (are interpreted to) say equivalence relation, so woe
betide you if you give it a symmetric but non-transitive or
non-reflexive function!

   deleteBy (\x y -> abs (x-y) == 2) 5 [1..5]

Anyway: I guess the point here is that if all 'deleteBy f x ys' does
with arguments f and x is apply f to x and then use the result, we might
as well feed it that result and eliminate a lot of uncertainity as well
as some documentation all too few of us bother to read.

-k