[Haskell-cafe] Type-Level Programming

Liam O'Connor liamoc at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat Jun 26 08:59:19 EDT 2010

I prefer Agda to Epigram, but different strokes for different folks.

In agda, you could define a list indexed by its size like this:

data Vec  : (A : Set) →  ℕ → Set where
 []  : Vec A 0
 _∷_ : ∀ {n : ℕ} → A → Vec A n → Vec A (1 + n)

So, we have a Vec data type, and on the type level it is a function
from some type A (which itself is of type Set) and a natural number
(the length) to a new type (of type Set).

The empty list is defined as a zero length vector, and cons therefore
increases the type-level length of the vector by one. Using this
method, Agda can be used to make a fully safe "head" implementation
that is statically verified not to crash:

head : ∀ { A : Set } { n : ℕ} → Vec A (1 + n) → A
head (x :: xs) = x

This uses the type system to ensure that the vector includes at least
one element.

Note that a similar thing can be achieved in Haskell with the right
extensions, however type-level naturals must be used:

data S n
data Z

data Vec a :: * -> * where
  Empty :: Vec a 0
  Cons   :: a -> Vec a b -> Vec a (S b)

safeHead  :: forall b. Vec a (S b) -> a
safeHead (Cons x xs) = x

(note: not tested)

The main difference here between Haskell and Agda is that the types
themselves are typed, and that the types contain real naturals not
fake ones like in Haskell

Cheers.
~Liam