[Haskell-cafe] Core packages and locale support

Roman Beslik beroal at ukr.net
Sat Jun 26 02:29:29 EDT 2010

On 25.06.10 20:09, Jason Dagit wrote:

>     you got everything right here. So, as you said, there is a mismatch
>     between representation in Haskell (list of code points) and
>     representation in the operating system (list of bytes), so we need to
>     know the encoding. Encoding is supplied by the user via locale
>     (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Locale), particularly
>     LC_CTYPE variable.
>
>     The problem with encodings is not new -- it was already solved
>     e.g. for
>     input/output.
>

> This is the part where I don't understand the problem well.  I thought
> that with IO the program assumes the locale of the environment but
> that with filepaths you don't know what locale (more specifically
> which encoding) they were created with.  So if you try to treat them
> as having the locale of the current environment you run the risk of
> misunderstanding their encoding.

Incorrect encoding of filepaths is common in e.g. Cyrillic Linux
(because of multiple possible encodings --- CP1251, KOI8-R, UTF-8) and
is solved by fiddling with the current locale and media mount options.
No need to change a program, or to tell character encoding to a program.
It is not a programming language issue.

--
Best regards,
   Roman Beslik.