[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: signficant improvements to the containers package

David Menendez dave at zednenem.com
Fri Jun 25 00:41:31 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Ivan Miljenovic
<ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> As an aside, Alex Mason and I are discussing the possibility of taking
> advantage of AusHack *shameless plug* to write some kind of classes
> for the different types of containers with a hierarchy.  I know about
> ListLike, but there doesn't seem to be any applicable classes for
> generic containers (i.e. the abstract API of a Set; something like
> ListLike would then be an extension on it) and for lookup data
> structures (Map k a, [(k, a)], etc.).

Be sure to look into Okasaki's work on Edison. It has classes for
sequences (list-like structures) and collections (sets, heaps) and
associations (maps, priority queues) and a paper discussing the design
decisions.

--
Dave Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>