[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: signficant improvements to the containers package

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Jun 24 04:37:32 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:57:54PM -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
> Some people might be quite excited by Milan's work on significant
> performance improvements to the containers package...

Ah. This all looks excellent! Currently jhc spends about 30-40% of its
time in the containers package according to profiling  so improvements
there will notably speed up compilation. Though, I already modifed a lot
to use IntSets instead of Sets and independently discovered the
HashSet/HashMap trick, but the gain should still be signifigant. The
focus on tree-union is particularly cool, as I know a lot of that goes
on inside the compiler.

        John