[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: signficant improvements to the containers package

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Thu Jun 24 02:57:54 EDT 2010

Some people might be quite excited by Milan's work on significant
performance improvements to the containers package...

----- Forwarded message from Milan Straka <fox at ucw.cz> -----

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:45:50 +0200
From: Milan Straka <fox at ucw.cz>
To: Don Stewart <dons at galois.com>
Cc: Claus Reinke <claus.reinke at talk21.com>, libraries at haskell.org
Subject: Re: Map folds in containers: why no worker/wrapper split?

> Data.Map is the way it is for historical reasons.  It needs a dedicated
> performance maintainer to do detailed benchmarking and static analysis.

I did quite a lot of benchmarking, strictness analysis and performance
improvements to the containers package recently, see the draft of my
paper http://fox.ucw.cz/papers/containers/containers.pdf.

Next week I will start finalizing the patches and submit them. The 'not
generating a worker/wrapper' issue is one of several on my radar, so
this should be resolved.

Cheers,
Milan

----- End forwarded message -----