[Haskell-cafe] Control.Alternative --- some and many?

Neil Brown nccb2 at kent.ac.uk
Wed Jun 23 05:36:25 EDT 2010

On 23/06/10 06:54, Christopher Done wrote:
> I'm not sure how Alternative differs from MonadPlus, other than being
> defined for Applicative rather than Monad.  They have the same laws
> (identity and associativity).

Importantly, MonadPlus must satisfy some laws for (>>=) and (>>),
whereas Alternative must only satisfy laws for the new (<|>) operator.
There are plenty of monads that do not satisfy the laws for MonadPlus
(particularly the difficult mzero-being-right-zero law), but do satisfy
the laws when defining their (<|>) implementation.  So they are
different because MonadPlus overlaps with Monad, whereas Alternative
does not (and thus, in my view, is much cleaner and more useful).

> "Some" and "many" are probably motivated by their usefulness in
> parsers.  Hence "optional", etc.  I'm sure there are plenty of other
> uses for it.

I wrote a little about some and many in Alternative in this blog post:
http://chplib.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/choose-anything-adding-an-alternative-instance/
(scroll down to the "Alternative" heading).  I think they are mainly
useful with a left-biased choice operator.