[Haskell-cafe] The Arrow class (was: Vague: Assembly line process)

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 22:38:46 EDT 2010

Hi Ryan,

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Ryan Ingram <ryani.spam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Related to this, I really would like to be able to use arrow notation
> without "arr"; I was looking into writing a "circuit optimizer" that
> modified my arrow-like circuit structure, but since it's impossible to
> "look inside" arr, I ran into a brick wall.
>
> Has anyone done any analysis of what operations arrow notation
> actually requires so that they can be made methods of some typeclass,
> instead of defining everything in terms of "arr"?
>
> It seems to me the trickiness comes when you have patterns and complex
> expressions in your arrow notation, that is, you write
>
>   (a,b) <- some_arrow <- (c,d)
>   returnA -< a

The design I've been using for this has been to use data-reify, and
observable sharing and to use pure let bindings to build the circuit.

full_adder :: Bit -> Bit -> Bit -> (Bit, Bit) full_adder a b cin = (s2, c1
|| c2) where (s1,c1) = half_adder a b (s2,c2) = half_adder s1 cin half_adder
:: Bit -> Bit -> (Bit, Bit) half_adder a b = (a `xor` b, a && b)

foo = do
x <- exists
y <- exists
z <- exists
assert $ full_adder x y z === (1,1)
assert $ forall $ \ a b c -> (a && b) ==> c === (a ==> b ==> c)
return (x,y,z)

I perform a similar sharing recovery in the back end code of Numeric.RAD
from the 'rad' package and Numeric.AD.Internal.Reverse in the 'ad' package.
I have uses in a number of unreleased bottom-up applicative parser
combinators as well, so it has a wide arrange of applicable situations.

Overall, let bindings tend to be a lot lighter than the accompanying arrow
sugar.

You might find Andy Gill's write-up on type safe observable sharing in
kansas lava to be useful.

http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~andygill/papers/reifyGraph.pdf

-Edward Kmett