[Haskell-cafe] Re: How does one get off haskell?

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 14:08:17 EDT 2010

I've written code with less bugs in Haskell than any other language
I've used. And that's a credit to GHC and not because I'm a great
programmer.

But I still don't know how to deal with the situation where you don't
have a clear picture of your data  or heterogenous data that you are
wrapping up in a type just to make the compiler happy?

Here's an example of the latter: I was writing some Haskell web app
code where continuations are used to compose multi-step web
transactions. The continuations were stored in a map keyed with a
unique session id and invoked when the user POST'ed back that session
id. The problem was that the map would only accept functions of one
intermediate type and one result type. So I had to marshall/unmarshall
all my functions to some common type (ContT () IO String  in my case)
just so I could store it in the map - which felt kind of dirty.

While pointers on this particular problem would be appreciated, I
think this is the kind of issue (needing to be flexible about data
types) is a stumbling block for many beginning Haskell programmers.

-deech