[Haskell-cafe] What is Haskell unsuitable for?

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 15:01:53 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Darrin Chandler
<dwchandler at stilyagin.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 01:38:23PM -0500, aditya siram wrote:
> > > Judging by the other thread, "getting hired" might be a valid answer
> here...
> > >
> > No argument there - I'm even afraid to stick it on my resume. At least
> > Clojure can be snuck into the JVM without people noticing - Haskell,
> > unfortunately, is not that shy.
>
> "I am sad that I can't use cool languages in the boring, mainstream
> corporate jobs that are easy to find."
>
> If you want to use cool languages, you may have to get a cool job. I
> know: it's easy to say and harder to accomplish.
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |
> http://metabug.org/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |  Daemons in the Desert   |  Global BUG
> Federation

I would never look at a resume when reviewing people to hire, see an exotic
programming language, and draw negative conclusions about that candidate.
 In fact, I've found that learning to solve problems from different solution
spaces in general is a worthwhile mental exercise, and helps one to come up
with possibly better solutions in the mainstream languages.

Sometimes breadth of experience is a good thing.