[Haskell-cafe] What is Haskell unsuitable for?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Jun 15 20:06:33 EDT 2010

Hi Aditya Siram,

- maybe shell scripting: running ghci takes longer than starting bash.
  Compiling is not always an option because executables are bigger than
  shell scripts or C executables

Haskell could be the wrong choice if

- an existing solution exists which does the job and you know you're not
  going to patch the source ( eg OpenOffice or Linux kernel, or simple
  build scripts. There is already make etc )

- want to run your app on targets which are not supported by Haskell or
  not supported too well. This includes Client scripting on browsers.
  I also think selling web apps which should run everywhere. If people
  read PHP they know how to install it. If they read Haskell I doubt.
  So if you want to sell apps to average mainstream custsomers Haskell
  can be a bad choice.

- you want to collaborate with people who don't know the language

I think you should go the other way round: Pick a task and ask which is
the best tool to get the job done.

But I think those items are obvious. Of course this is my point of view.

Marc Weber