[Haskell-cafe] Reactive and 'real live' problem

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 23:22:43 EDT 2010

I tried to experiment with reactive[1] and rewrite NeHe tutorials using
reactive-glut. However I run into problems.

I tried to write first tutorial and exit on escape. However there were 2
problems:

1. Optimized constant functions
2. Continuous behaviour

In reactive the final step is Behaviour which is 'function' from time to
something a. Here a = IO (). The problem is that it is not indifferent
how many time the same IO () was returned (we don't want to write to
file twice etc.).

I tried to workaround it in various ways but all I came up to was to
switch after switch with time + * where * is the difference between
times (unfortunately there is no function which give the next float).

As with every tick everything is executed -- unless everything gets
optimized to constant function.

Am I failing to find proper docs? How solve those problems? If they are
not easily solvable is there any general-purpose FRP library that allows
to use IO inside?

Regards

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/reactive