[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Sifflet visual programming language, release 0.1.7

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Sat Jun 12 18:40:15 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Daniel Fischer
<daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 June 2010 21:43:25, gdweber at iue.edu wrote:
>> so I go on declaring in my cabal file
>> that my package depends on P >= A.B.C,
>> even though I *might* be using new features of P
>> that wouldn't work with P == A.B.C.
>
> If you're changing the code to use new features of P, you have to raise the
> lower bound of the dependency.
> If you don't use any new features, it would continue working with P-A.B.C,
> so you can leave the lower bound.

It's not always easy to remember or tell when you break compatibility
with old versions. I came up with this idea for cabal-install to aid
in development:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/661

which I think would help, but it's not been written yet. Maybe add
yourself to the CC list if you're eager to see it happen.