[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Gtk2hs-users] Woes on MacOS 10.6 - linking issues -now working, but Glade is missing in v0.11 and v0.10.1 still won't compile

Brett Giles brett.giles at ucalgary.ca
Sat Jun 12 17:59:48 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the variety of suggestions - I resolved this by uninstalling the Haskell-platform DMG based package and using the one from macports. I then, as mentioned elsewhere, manually modified my hsc2hs shell script to ensure the correct code was generated.

However, I see that the cabal install for version 11 contains no Glade modules. I saw there was a patch posted by Andy Stewart for it a while back, is there any ETA for it for the public?

I am, (so sad for me:) a bit hooped as I was going to give a demo of a program in a couple of days, but my code depends heavily on Glade and I can't seem to get the prior version of Gtk2HS (0.10.1) to compile at all.  (Issues with x86_64 vs i386 - but I have tried for three hours to get the magic combination of modifications to the ghc script, the hsc2hs script and environment variable to no avail).

If anyone has had luck on getting the 10.1 version to build (on a brand new install of OSx v10.6.3, macports Haskell Platform meaning GHC is 6.10.4, I'd love to hear how you did it.

(I did check out the variety of tickets related to this, especially http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3400 and the recent conversations on this list between Chris K. and Axel.

> On Jun 11,2010, at 2:40 AM, Axel Simon wrote:
>
>> Hi Brett,
>>
>> On 11.06.2010, at 04:53, Brett Giles wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks
>>>
>>> I seem to have Gtk2HS 0.11 installed, but not quite working. Interestingly, I can run a demo, such as the hello/World.hs example, directly in ghci. However, when I try to do a ghc --make on any code containing gtk2hs I get a link error like this:
>>>
>>> Undefined symbols:
>>> "_iconv_close", referenced from:
>>>    _hs_iconv_close in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
>>>   (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_close)
>>> "_iconv", referenced from:
>>>    _hs_iconv in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
>>>   (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open, _hs_iconv , _hs_iconv_close )
>>> "_iconv_open", referenced from:
>>>    _hs_iconv_open in libHSbase-4.2.0.0.a(iconv.o)
>>>   (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open)
>>> ld: symbol(s) not found
>>>

>>> I do have libiconv installed as a universal library via macports. gtk, glade etc., are also universal installed via macports.
>>>

>>> I downloaded the OSX Haskell Platform package and am running ghc 6.12.1
>>>

>> The iconv issue is usually that you also have a libiconv that Apple ships. The platform ghc probably links against that while macports (and thus Gtk+) uses its own. I have no idea who's to blame here but I guess you should be trying to change your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or your DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to /opt/sw since that contains the more complete version.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Axel

Brett Giles
Grad Student, Formal Methods, Category Theory,
University of Calgary
brett.giles at ucalgary.ca