[Haskell-cafe] Problems with threading?

Isaac Gouy igouy2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 11:30:20 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 6/10/10, Louis Wasserman <wasserman.louis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Date: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 1:32 AM

> Yeah, Control.Parallel would be nice to have.  Heck, ideally I could get > the whole Haskell Platform, which would be a reasonable comparison to
> the huge Java and C++ libraries accessible to those languages.

> Out of curiosity, though, Haskell's thread-ring implementation just
> tumbled down the rankings http://shootout.alioth.debian.org
> /u64q/program.php?test=threadring&lang=ghc&id=3.  Previously, it'd been > doing most of its work on a single core, now it's spread out.  Any ideas > for fixin' it?  (I'm going to to try using forkOnIO.)

There are 4 sets of "rankings" so -

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64/program.php?test=threadring&lang=ghc&id=3

I have been wondering what approach is recommended when one part of a program would be a lot faster with -threaded but other parts of the program would be a lot faster without -threaded.

I can see that the C++ and Fortran and ... programmers would just wrap part of their program source code with a pragma.